Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Our Lady of Lourdes Chicken Soup and Dumplings

When I broke my leg a couple years ago, the lovely ladies in my Catholic Book Club brought our family meals for 2 months straight. This meal was one of those meals. I asked for a copy of the recipe from my friend Susan, and on the copy, it says it is from Building the Family Cookbook, by Suzanne Fowler.

At the top of the recipe, it reads:

This is a comforting soup and the perfect dinner to have after the "budget talk". Your husband will be impressed that you can make so little, so delicious and go so far!

Our Lady of Lourdes Chicken Soup and Dumplings

10 cups Water

2 Large Chicken Breasts (cooked and cut up for soup)

1 chopped onion

1 tsp Salt

3/4 tsp Pepper

1 Bay Leaf

1 1/2 c. Carrots, sliced

1 c. Celery, chopped (I used the inner w/leaves)

3/4 tsp garlic salt

2 Tbsp Chicken Bouillon (I used "Better Than Bouillon" brand)

Put all in pot and cook these for about an hour. Then add dumplings.

Dumplings:

2 cups Flour

3 tsp Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Salt

4 Tbsp Cold Butter

1 cup Milk

3 Tbsp dried Parsley

Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and parsley. Cut in cold butter until crumbly.

Mix in milk with fork. Drop by rounded Tablespoonfuls (or teaspoonful, depending how big you want your dumplings) into the soup. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove cover and carefully flip dumplings. Continue cooking uncovered for 10 minutes.

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Chicken and Dumplings soup is one of my favorite things to eat!
    Thanks for the recipe, it looks soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great. I am doing a white/ pink meal in honour of Our Lady: we will do a tagliateli in cream sauce with salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this tonight and LOVED it - and I'm the picky eater of the family. :>) Even the 3YO who is sadly following in my picky footsteps ate hers. Winner winner chicken dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love this meal! I usually do my meal plans for one month and prep as much as possible to store in freezer (mainly prep meats, i.e., rubs, marinades, etc.). Not only is this insanely good fresh, it's just as good frozen. That way I have it on hand especially for those times when our whole house gets sick. I think I have 2 dinners of this in our freezer right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last night and it was super yummy and so easy! I'm looking forward to leftovers at lunch today!

    Why is it called "Our Lady of Lourdes" chicken soup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy mom online--I'm not sure why, except for the "budget talk" thing...back when Our Lady appeared, times were tough and people were poor....I don't know. I couldn't find the cookbook either to link it, I'll try again though. (it was a copy of a friend's recipe--I put in the post all I have for info)

    Glad you liked it! It's one of our favorites too, I always double the dumplings though, as my kiddos eat all those first!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We made this last night and it was a HUGE hit. I used my homemade chicken stock instead of water. It was delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is our all time favorite even our friends love it. Thank you for sharing. ❤

    ReplyDelete