Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Saint Brigid Vegetable Soup

This post was written by past Catholic Cuisine contributor Amy.



Saint Brigid snuck up on me this year! I was already making chicken stock for soup for tonight, so I decided to do some research on how to make my broth Irish! Searching online I found one reviewer on All Recipes say how to make an authentic Irish vegetable soup.

She explained that it always starts with homemade stock (beef or chicken). You add desired vegetables already chopped. I will use onions, carrots, celery, and some red peppers (you know what ever was in the fridge!). Simmer till vegetables are tender.

I know what you are thinking… if it is Irish there has to be a potato in it, right? Right!

When the soup is served, you place a whole boiled potato in the bowl and pour the soup over it!

This is a great, quick, option for dinner tonight on the Feast of Saint Brigid! Serve with warm homemade bread for a not so quick option! There are many Irish Soda Breads around, too, including Barbara’s right here.



Also, don't forget to serve some Irish beer with dinner (for those of age, of course!).

St. Brigid’s Prayer

I’d like to give a lake of beer to God.

I’d love the Heavenly

Host to be tippling there

For all eternity.

I’d love the men of Heaven to live with me,

To dance and sing.

If they wanted, I’d put at their disposal

Vats of suffering.

White cups of love 
I’d give them,

With a heart and a half;

Sweet pitchers of mercy I’d offer

To every man.

I’d make Heaven a cheerful spot,

Because the happy heart is true.

I’d make the men contented for their own sake

I’d like Jesus to love me too.

I’d like the people of heaven to gather

From all the parishes around,

I’d give a special welcome to the women,

The three Marys of great renown.

I’d sit with the men, the women of God

There by the lake of beer

We’d be drinking good health forever

And every drop would be a prayer.

God Bless and Happy Feast of Saint Brigid!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. First of all: LOVE the new look!! Interesting about the soup and the potato! We are actually having veggie soup for dinner too tonight. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lived in Ireland off and on for years, and never saw veg soup served this way. usually they just blitz everything with an immersion blender and then add double cream.

    ReplyDelete