Saturday, January 5, 2013

Gluten Free Twelfth Night Rum Cake


I wanted to make Jessica's Twelfth Night Rum Cake this year but my husband is eating gluten free right now for some digestive health reasons and I felt bad for not making more treats that he could enjoy with us over this Christmas season. So, turning to The Cake Mix Doctor's new gluten free cookbook, I decided to try her Bacardi Rum Cake recipe, just making a few alterations. Here is the recipe as I made it:

Gluten Free Twelfth Night Rum Cake


Cake:

Vegetable oil spray, for misting the pan
1 package (15 ounces) yellow gluten-free cake mix (Betty Crocker)
1/4 cup (half of a 3.4-ounce package) vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbl. rum extract
1/4 cup water
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Glaze:

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
2 Tbl. water
1 tsp. rum extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly mist a 12-cup Bundt pan with GF vegetable oil spray.

2. Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, rum extract, water, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are just incorporated, 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat the batter until smooth, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes longer, scraping down the side of the bowl again if needed. Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan, smoothing the top with the rubber spatula, and place the pan in the oven.

3. Bake the cake until it is golden brown and the top springs back when lightly pressed with a finger, 40 to 45 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, make the glaze: Place the butter in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted. Add the brown sugar and water, and stir to combine over low heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from the heat, stir in the 1 tsp. rum extract and let the glaze cool.

My cake was so pretty and puffed when it came out of the oven and then it collapsed. Sad, but still yummy!
5. Transfer the Bundt pan to a wire rack and let the cake cool for 10 minutes. Shake the pan gently, and invert the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Carefully put the cake back in the pan. Using a wooden skewer, poke a dozen holes on the bottom of the cake, about 1/2 way through. Very slowly spoon about 2/3rds of the cooled glaze over the warm cake letting it soak into the holes in the cake before adding more. Insert chocolate coins at this point by slicing into the bottom and inserting an unwrapped chocolate coin into the slit. When the bottom of the cake has absorbed most of the glaze, flip cake back over to a serving plate and spoon the remainder of the glaze over the top.

6.  Let the cake cool to room temperature, 20 minutes longer before slicing and serving.


Happy Twelfth Night!

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Mmm, rum! For Epiphany tomorrow, I made triple-ginger cookies in the shape of stars. Thought that would go along well with the Gospel! Taking them to my parish's coffee hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica and I were talking about this, if you were trying to go sugar free you could use agave instead of the brown sugar in the glaze, maybe. Not sure about how to replace it in the pudding mix. Maybe that would just have to be ok. lol This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, that does look good! I have found that my baked goods fall when not quite cooked through - even a few minutes make a difference.

    I have baked gluten-free for over three years (and also without dairy, eggs or soy). Thankfully even if it doesn't look how you want it almost always tastes good! It was very sweet to include everyone in the treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - it looks great. I love to see gluten free recipes here - I just found this blog and I am really enjoying it. My whole family is now gluten free. I am always trying to recreate recipes as gluten free so they don't feel left out. You never know what you can accomplish until you have a sweet 4 year old begging you to make a comparable treat to one of his friends.

    I have found that Betty Crocker GF mixes tend to fall quite a bit. If you can find it - I have found 123 Gluten Free mixes or King Arthur Flour GF to fall less - and taste so much more gluteny then the Betty Crocker. I am not sure why - maybe the variety of flours. I made gluten free cupcakes for my son's First Communion in addition to ordering a gluten bakery cake. The cupcakes were so good that people who ate both - said the cupcakes were even better than the cake. (I didn't taste the cake - but my cousin told me it was a typical bakery cake but the cupcakes were fantastic.)

    ReplyDelete